THE ENDANGERED ALPHABETS PROJECT
We’ve all heard about endangered species. But what about endangered languages? Tim Brookes researches languages on the brink of being completely forgotten, and he’s here to break ‘em down and store ‘em up with his Endangered Alphabets project. Brookes carves and paints near-extinct writing systems from Indonesia, Nigeria, and beyond into wood, and he’s planning a traveling exhibition to preserve these scripts and the fascinating cultures they embody.
The Endangered Alphabets Project needs invites for a Vermont professor traveling the world to attempt to save endangered languages... Please help.
Recent IPP News
- On the Road, From Now Until Whenever
- Now presenting the 2011 Open Architecture Challenge
- Educause Preview: Annual Tech Showcase Highlights Apps, Clouds, and Learning Systems
- Tap support to push for reform
- International Academic Freedom Day
- World’s youngest professor can’t legally drink
- 2011-2012 Scholars at Risk(SAR) Speaker Series list
- Former Board Member Dr Vikram Pattarkine appointed on the Executive Board of the Chesapeake Bay Program Scientific and Technical Advisory Committee
- Former IPP Board Member speaks at Algae Symposium at Paris
- Top Three Graduate Programs in China by Discipline (CDGDC)
|Educause Preview: Annual Tech Showcase Highlights Apps, Clouds, and Learning Systems|
One sign of the growing presence of technology on college campuses is the rising numbers at the annual meeting of Educause, which kicks off Tuesday in Philadelphia. This year more than 7,300 people are signed up to attend, up from 6,500 at last year’s meeting.
The bulk of the attendees work as technology leaders on campuses, though many others represent the 266 tech companies setting up booths at the show to persuade colleges to use their products to support teaching, research, or administrative functions. (This year’s attendance is not technically the largest ever, but officials say it is “near peak,” which in this economy, counts as a kind of record.)Continue reading story here: http://chronicle.com/blogs/wiredcampus/educause-preview-annual-tech-showcase-highlights-apps-clouds-and-learning-systems/33747